Brad's German potato salad. For German potato salad, sliced potatoes are tossed with bacon, sautéed onions, fresh herbs, and a mustardy white wine dressing. It's a nice change-up from the classic mayonnaise-based version, and you can serve it warm or chilled. How to Make the Best Potato Salad.
Some are made hot with a bacon dressing, some are steeped in chicken or beef broth for flavor. Hot potatoes dressed in a warm bacon, mustard, and vinegar dressing are what make this traditional German potato salad a family favorite. I can taste the pucker now. You can have Brad's German potato salad using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Brad's German potato salad
- You need 3 lbs of youkon gold or white potatoes.
- It’s 1/2 of LG sweet onion.
- You need 1 tbs of granulated chicken bouillon.
- It’s 1/2 lb of bacon, chopped and fried. Reserve grease.
- It’s 1 of med red onion, chopped.
- It’s 3/4 cup of white or cider vinegar.
- You need 1 tbs of mustard seed.
- Prepare 6 of green onions, chop green and white parts.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
It's the telltale sign of the ultimate German potato salad. That vinegar punch mixed with spunky, grainy mustard in a bacon-studded. Every potluck needs this German Potato Salad from Delish.com. Unlike the cold, creamy mayo-dressed picnic staple, German potato salad is served warm with a bacon vinaigrette.
Brad's German potato salad step by step
- Peel, cube and cover potatoes with water in a Dutch oven. Add yellow onion, 1 tsp salt, and chicken bouillon. Boil until tender..
- At same time, fry bacon. When done, drain on paper towel. Reserve grease..
- When potatoes are done, drain in a colander. Discard onion. Keep dutch oven handy..
- Fry red onion in bacon grease until tender..
- Return potatoes to the Dutch oven. Keep covered with a lid..
- When onions are tender, add mustard seed, and vinegar to the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes..
- Add to potatoes, including all liquid and bacon grease. Add rest of ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Mix well and let sit on the counter for 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve and enjoy..
In contrast to the common creamy, mayonnaise-based potato salad dressing, German potato salad is marked by its vinegar-y tang. I'm not too big on the latter, but I have to hand it to the Germans with how they serve their potatoes, especially in potato salad. I remember lots of potatoes garnished with parsley, usually tossed in a light vinegar dressing, sometimes onions, and always blessedly mayo-free. Fixed with mustard and bacon (and NO mayo), Bobby's German Potato Salad recipe is the only recipe you need to know. In this German potato salad, the typical American mayo dressing is replaced with pickled onions and a tangy vinaigrette.