Classic Cherry Pie.
You can cook Classic Cherry Pie using 15 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Classic Cherry Pie
- You need of pie crust.
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of sugar.
- You need 170 g of unsalted butter, chilled.
- Prepare 113 g of crisco, chilled.
- You need 8 tablespoon of ice water.
- It’s of cherries fillings.
- Prepare 900 g of fresh cherry, pitted.
- You need 200 g of caster sugar.
- You need 30 g of cornflour.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- You need 1 teaspoon of vanila extract.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.
- You need 1 of large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk.
Classic Cherry Pie instructions
- For Pie Crust: Mix the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor..
- Cut butter into smaller pieces and add to food processor. Pulse a few times. Crisco into smaller pieces and add to food processor..
- Pulse a few more times, until butter and Crisco are the size of peas or smaller. Transfer to a large bowl..
- Sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons of ice water over the dough mixture at a time, mixing and pressing with a sturdy rubber spatula until the dough comes together..
- Divide into two and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use..
- For Cherrie fillings: Place the cherries, sugar, cornflour, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract into a large saucepan over medium heat..
- Stirring often, cook for about 10 – 15 minutes until the cherries start to break down, and the mixture has thickened..
- You want a fairly thick mixture so that it can hold its shape when cutting the pie later. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely..
- To finish: On a floured surface, roll out one of the discs of dough to a 12-inch circle. Carefully press the dough into an ungreased 9×2-inch pie dish. Spoon the filling into the crust..
- Roll out the other disc of dough to a 12-inch and carefully put on top of the filling. Cut off any excess dough, and seal the strips into the bottom crust..
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking, and preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6..
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar. Place the pie onto a baking tray, and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until the crust is golden brown..
- Allow the pie to cool completely at room temperature before slicing and serving..